close
close

Viral video shows vandalism of second bridge in Niger, police issue order

In a video currently circulating on social media, a man can be seen describing how some rail fastenings installed on the Second Niger Bridge were ripped out and destroyed by suspected vandals.

The man on the bridge, who has not yet been identified, shared the video on Monday and warned drivers to be careful of the torn-out railings, especially at night.

The video also showed some torn-out railings lying on the floor of the bridge.

He said: “This is the new bridge built by the Federal Government for the benefit of the people, but some vandals have ripped out and damaged the railing connecting the bridge, putting unsuspecting motorists at risk, especially at night.”

“There is no vehicle that can drive into this ditch without getting stuck, especially at night. Vandals have ripped out the expensive railings and sold them, which is not good at all. Drivers should be careful when crossing the bridge at night. We don't know who to complain to about this.”

Our correspondent who visited the Anambra State section of the bridge on Monday also noticed that some railings had been removed, creating openings at the various joints.

When asked about the development, Anambra State Police Spokesperson, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the police were aware of the development and were conducting investigations.

Ikenga said: “The command is aware of the video and has instructed the DPO in charge of the area to investigate to ascertain the true development there and determine the next course of action. Please let us remain calm.”

When Uche Orji, the press secretary of the Minister of Works, David Umahi, was also asked about the development, he simply said: “I have just watched the video and am ready to act.”

As a reminder, on May 23, former President Muhammadu Buhari commissioned the construction of the N336 billion bridge, along with seven other infrastructure projects, via the online platform Zoom.

Former Minister of Works and Housing Babatunde Fashola announced the completion of the bridge at a briefing in October 2022 after successive governments failed to keep their promises for nearly five decades.

On December 15, 2022, the federal government also opened the second Niger Bridge to ease traffic in the southeast during the Christmas season.

The second Niger Bridge was first proposed during the 1978/79 election campaign by then candidate Shehu Shagari of the National Party of Nigeria.

The 1.6-kilometer-long bridge, which connects Anambra and Delta states and is modeled on the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos, is intended to ease traffic on the existing Niger Bridge, stimulate economic activity and connect the southeast with the rest of the country.