close
close

Suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann to be charged with more murders

For years, the dismembered remains of the killer's victims were found scattered along the remote stretch of Gilgo Beach, frustrating investigators until they finally arrested New York architect Rex Heuermann.

Rex Heuermann is to be charged with two more murders, in addition to the four he already faces((AP)

The suspect behind the infamous Gilgo Beach murders is charged with two more murders, in what prosecutors call a “significant development.”

Already charged with murdering four women and leaving their bodies scattered in bushland along a coastal road near New York City, 60-year-old New York architect Rex Heuermann is set to face charges in the 2003 death of Jessica Taylor and the 1993 murder of Sandra Costilla, the New York Post reports.

The remains of Ms. Taylor, a 20-year-old woman who worked as an escort, were found in a wooded area in Manorville in 2003. Additional remains were discovered on Ocean Parkway on March 29, 2011.

Read more: Father of teen killed in gruesome catfish murder plot dies on motorcycle ride to mark fifth anniversary

Ms. Taylor's remains were found on Gilgo Beach in 2003.

The other new victim – Sandra Costilla – was not previously listed among the Gilgo Beach victims. Investigators had previously suspected convicted serial killer John Bittrolff in her death, but no charges were filed.

Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney has not commented on what developments he plans to announce or the purpose of Thursday's court hearing, but sources familiar with the case told The New York Post about the new charges.

Since late 2010, police have been investigating the deaths of at least ten people, mostly prostitutes. Their remains were discovered on a remote highway not far from Gilgo Beach on the south shore of Long Island. The victims had been missing for at least 14 years.

Investigators previously assumed that convicted serial killer John Bittrolff was behind Ms. Costilla's death
Rex Heuermann is to be charged with two more murders(Suffolk County District Attorney/ZUMA Press Wire/REX/Shutterstock)

Frustrated officials have made slow progress in identifying possible suspects. Investigators have long said it was likely that not all of the deaths were the work of the same killer. Some of the victims disappeared in the mid-1990s. Investigators concluded that an 11th person who disappeared from the barrier island of Oak Beach in 2010 drowned accidentally.

Heuermann, who lived across a bay from where the bodies were found, was arrested last July. Prosecutors said a new investigative team used cellphone location data and DNA samples to link the architect to some of the victims. He was charged with killing four of the women: Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.

The latest news, politics, sports and showbiz from the USA can be found at The Mirror US .

The booking photo by Rex Heuermann((Getty Images)

Investigators who thoroughly searched Heuermann's home and dug up his yard last summer returned to the house last month and spent nearly a week searching it again, focusing their efforts primarily on the basement, according to an attorney for Heuermann's wife.

This followed a search in April in a wooded area in Manorville, about 40 miles east of Heuermann's home, that is linked to two other Gilgo Beach victims. Valerie Mack, 24, who had worked as an escort in Philadelphia, disappeared in 2000 and was last seen by her family in Port Republic, New Jersey. Some of her skeletal remains were discovered in the woods of Manorville that same year. More of her remains were found in 2011 during searches around Gilgo Beach.

Heuermann denies the allegations against him ((Getty Images)

The remains of Ms. Mack, originally known as “Jane Doe No. 6,” were unknown for years until genetic testing revealed her identity in 2020. Jessica Taylor, 20, disappeared in 2003 while working as an escort in New York City. Some of her remains were discovered in Manorville that year. Additional remains were found in 2011 during a search of beach brush along the edge of Ocean Parkway, the road where the other Gilgo Beach victims were found.

Heuermann's attorney and attorneys representing his wife and two adult children declined to comment. Heuermann, who has been in custody since his arrest, has pleaded not guilty. He is scheduled to appear in court for a status hearing on June 18. A trial date has not yet been set.