close
close

Suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann is expected to be charged with two more murders

LONG ISLAND — Investigators believe they can link suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann to the deaths of two other women. Charges will be filed in a Long Island court Thursday morning.

The former New York architect was taken into custody in July and was already accused of the murder of four women who became known as the “Gilgo Four”.

Heuermann, 60, has pleaded not guilty to killing four women – Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes – whose remains were found near Gilgo Beach on Ocean Parkway. He was being held without bail.

RELATED: Revisiting an old clue leads investigators to a breakthrough in the Gilgo Beach murder cases

According to law enforcement, the new murder charges relate to two additional victims and are the result of a comprehensive expansion of the investigation into Heuermann following his arrest last summer.

Heuermann's arrest sparked a media frenzy, with many wondering if police had finally caught a serial killer long feared by the people of Gilgo Beach as responsible for a series of unsolved murders spanning decades.

At least eleven human remains were found in Suffolk County on Long Island, including those of the four women Heuermann is accused of murdering.

Recent searches in the Manorville and North Sea woods, as well as at Heuermann's home in Massapequa Park, where evidence was believed to be found in the basement, led to the expected new charges.

RELATED: Investigators return to the home of suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann for a second day

Manorville, a community on eastern Long Island, is located about 40 miles northeast of where the bodies of the Gilgo Four were discovered.

“They conducted a nine-day search and then returned to his home the last week of May and searched the Massapequa Park home for six days. Ten days later, we now have an indictment – a sealed indictment that will hopefully be unsealed on Thursday,” said ABC News contributor Robert Boyce.

His lawyer, Michael Brown, told reporters in January that Heuermann maintains his innocence and looks forward to contesting the charges.

Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney is expected to further explain the new charges after the trial.

“A number of investigative steps have been taken. On Thursday, you will see the fruits of that investigation,” said Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney.

RELATED: Gilgo Beach investigation: Police expand search area in connection with man convicted of murdering two women

According to officials briefed on the investigation, detectives believe there may have been more murders. This assumption prompted investigators to expand their case, re-examine garbage dumps, re-search Heuermann's house and also investigate unsolved missing persons cases.

“We are far from the end of this investigation,” said a police officer who was involved in the extensive case. “We are still at the very beginning.”

“A flood of evidence”

After Heuermann's arrest last summer, police said the investigation was far from over, focusing on the Massapequa home where he had lived quietly for years with his wife, daughter and stepson.

In July, investigators searched the house with police dogs and ground-penetrating radar and discovered more than 280 firearms. More than 40 of them were illegally owned, police said.

Authorities also investigated areas in Las Vegas and South Carolina where Heuermann owned property.

Tierney told reporters last summer that investigators were working with a “flood of evidence.”

A few weeks ago, police again searched the Massapequa home and were seen carrying boxes out of the house. Robert Macedonia, the attorney for Heuermann's estranged wife, Asa Ellerup, confirmed that police had a search warrant.

Ellerup filed for divorce days after Heuermann's arrest last year, but continues to visit him weekly, according to a statement released by her lawyers in March.

She insists that Heuermann is not capable of the crimes he is accused of, the statement said. She expressed her sympathy to the victims and their families.

“No one deserves to die this way,” Ellerup said in the statement.

CNN contributed to this article.

Copyright © 2024 KFSN-TV. All rights reserved.