US Marshals arrest wanted man in connection with Hampton Wingstop murder

HAMPTON – A U.S. Marshals task force has arrested a man wanted in connection with a February murder at a Wingstop restaurant in the Coliseum neighborhood of Hampton.

The arrest of 25-year-old Isaiah Daqwon Harris came just days after the U.S. Marshals offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to Harris's arrest. He is accused of killing Travell Lavar Giles, 29, a shift supervisor at Wingstop, on Feb. 14.

“It took a while, but we caught him,” said Senior Inspector Robert Bowers of the U.S. Marshals Service, who was involved in the search for Harris within four or five days of the murder.

Harris was found Thursday morning at an address on Roland Drive in Hampton, just about three miles from the Wingstop. “We believe he was renting a room from someone there,” Bowers said.

US Marshals Service

Isaiah Daqwon Harris was arrested on February 14 in connection with the killing of Travell Giles.

A U.S. Marshals task force — made up of about 10 marshals and officers from local police departments — surrounded the house at about 10:20 a.m. They conducted a “call-out” and called for Harris to surrender over a loudspeaker system. A relative also called him.

“She convinced him to come out,” Bowers said.

Harris left the building around 11:45 a.m., just as a Hampton Police SWAT team arrived to take over the scene. Bowers would not say how the Marshals Service and Hampton Police tracked Harris to that location or whether the $5,000 reward played a role.

Harris is charged with first-degree murder, possession of a weapon during the commission of a serious felony, possession of a weapon by a convicted felon, and shooting in an inhabited structure.

The murder occurred at 8:15 p.m. at the Wingstop at Coliseum Crossing, across from JC Penney and Peninsula Town Center. It was one of two murders of fast-food employees in the heart of Hampton's busiest shopping district.

Travell Giles. (Courtesy of Trina Smith)
Travell Giles. (Courtesy of Trina Smith)

According to sources, 29-year-old Giles and Harris got into an argument inside the restaurant, during which Harris pulled out a gun and shot Giles multiple times. He then fled on foot. Giles died at the scene.

According to a search warrant affidavit filed in Hampton Circuit Court, arriving officers found Giles' body on the kitchen floor, a few feet from the counter. Police found seven .40-caliber bullet casings, the affidavit states.

Giles' mother, Trina Smith, said her understanding of the altercation was that Giles – an assistant manager – asked the other employee to do something but the other employee refused, leading to an argument.

According to court records, Harris has multiple felony convictions in connection with a hit-and-run crash in Newport News in October 2017.

He pleaded guilty in 2018 to hit-and-run, grand theft, credit card fraud and other charges and served five years in prison. In 2021 – while incarcerated in a state prison in Sussex – Harris was charged with four counts of intentional mob assault stemming from a July 2020 prison brawl. He pleaded guilty to a reduced charge and was sentenced to six months in prison.

Peter Dujardin, 757-897-2062, [email protected]