Bend-area man charged with attempted murder after shooting Redmond-area man in the face, but refuses to appear in court

REDMOND, Ore. (KTVZ) — A Bend-area man accused of attempted murder in the shooting of a Redmond-area man in the face last Monday turned himself in to Prineville police Thursday and was taken to the Deschutes County Jail in Bend, but refused to appear in court Friday.

Shooting victim Lowell Edward Templeton, 56, drove himself to the emergency room at St. Charles Redmond after being shot in the face with a .40-caliber handgun, Deschutes County District Attorney Steve Gunnels said Friday.

Templeton suffered life-threatening injuries and was flown by medical helicopter to Oregon Health and Science University in Portland. An OHSU representative said Templeton was not listed in the public patient directory, but Gunnels said he was recovering and “reporting in now.”

The district attorney did not provide any further details about the background to the shooting, and police did not release any information about the crime.

Suspect Darron Jay Reece, 36, turned himself in to Prineville police on Thursday and also turned over the handgun allegedly used in the crime, Gunnels said.

The prosecutor's indictment, filed Friday, lists four counts: attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon and unlawful possession of a weapon. It says Reece was convicted of third-degree assault in Deschutes County in 2017.

Reece was booked into the Bend Jail and held without bail pending his first court appearance on Friday, according to a video link from the jail.

But when it was Reece's turn, a deputy jail officer told District Judge Alycia Sykora that Reece had refused to come into the room where the videotaping was taking place and that he “did not wish to participate in the hearing due to the nature of the charges.” An officer told the judge that Reece “explained to our medical representative that he did not wish to participate due to the special circumstances.”

Assistant District Attorney Andrew Doyle immediately informed Gunnels, who came into the courtroom and asked the judge to “order, for good cause, an extension of the time within which Mr. Reece can be brought to trial based on the information provided by the District Attorney.”

“The only alternative,” Gunnels said, “would be to forcibly remove him from his current location and bring him to court, which would further increase the risk to him and the detaining officers.”

A representative of Atlas Law Group, which represents Reece, declined to comment “given the forces at play” but said they would “get things moving on our side.”

Sykora agreed with the prosecutor that it would be “difficult and unwise to order the forcible release of Mr. Reece from his prison cell at this time.” She concluded, as requested, that probable cause existed and continued the matter, setting his court date for Monday afternoon.